Permit in accordance with the Act on Cross-country Traffic

A permit is not required if the area is designated, in the local detailed plan, for competitions and practices, or if an environmental permit has been applied for, for activities in the area in question.

A written permission from the landowner is required for granting a permit under the Cross-country Traffic Act. The activities shall not cause unreasonable harm to nature or other environment, fishing, settlements, public recreational use or other public interest.

The use of motorised vehicles in the terrain is supervised by the police, the Customs and the Border Guard, as well as by Metsähallitus in areas under its control. P

The service is subject to a fee based on a valid environmental protection authority rate


If a trader has established their business in another country within the European Economic Area and intends to provide their services temporarily in Finland, the trader is subject to the same obligations as all other traders established in Finland.


Submit the application well before the event or competition, at least 3 months in advance. A map of the operating area and the landowner's written consent must be attached to the permit application.

Attach a map of the area covered by the activity, written permission from the landowner, an account of the safety factors and a plan for repairing possible damage to the terrain and tidying up the area after the event to the application.


The permit must be applied for at least 3 months in advance.

Processing time

The processing time of the application is usually at least three (3) months, including the hearing and appeal times.

Service background and legislation

Natural terrain refers to an area that is not a road and is not meant for transport. Motor vehicles must not be driven there without the landowner’s permission. If competitions are organised for motor vehicles or motor vehicles practice over natural terrain on a regular basis, a permit must be applied for also from the municipal environmental authorities. A permit must also be applied for if considerable disruption e.g. to nature, residents, public recreational use of the area and fishing can be expected from an individual event.

A permit is not required if the area already has an environmental permit or if the local detailed plan specifies that the purpose of the area is the use motor vehicles.