Weighted curriculum education is provided in the following schools of basic education in Lappeenranta:
- Joutsenon koulu comprehensive school (7th–9th grade); Technology, Wellbeing
- Kesämäen koulu comprehensive school: English, extensive bilingual syllabus (1st–9th grade); English, abridged bilingual syllabus (7th–9th grade); physical education (7th–9th grade)
- Kimpisen koulu comprehensive school: Music (3rd–9th grade), physical education (7th–9th grade); ice hockey (7th–9th grade)
- Lauritsalan koulu comprehensive school (7th–9th grade): Art, physical education, science
- Sammonlahden koulu comprehensive school (7th–9th grade): Art, physical education, natural sciences, English
Use the service
You will find more information on applying for weighted curriculum education in the ‘Newcomer’s guide’ (Opas koulutulokkaan kotiin) and in the ‘6th graders guide’ (Opas 6.-luokkalaisen kotiin).
Pupils applying for a place in weighted curriculum education will take an entrance examination and aptitude tests.
The service is free of charge.
Service background and legislation
Pupils in compulsory education age may apply for a place in weighted curriculum education. The kinds and extent of weighted curriculum education depend on how comprehensive schools emphasise certain subjects in their instruction following decisions made by the municipality or other education provider.Weighted curriculum education may include languages, natural sciences, music, visual arts or physical education.
Pupils may apply for a place in weighted curriculum education that starts either in grade 3 or grade 7 of basic education. Weighted language studies can already start in grade 1. Weighted curriculum education extends the pupil’s school week by 1 to 2 hours.