Winter Harbour open from 27 January to 2 March – come and enjoy the snow slide, dog sled rides, ring sledge, ice path and many other activities!
The winter activities and events hub at Satamatori offer a plethora of things to do for the whole family at the very beginning of the Lappeenranta 375 jubilee year. Grab a snow glider or sledge and let the snow slide take you to new wintertime adventures! For people who enjoy speed, the ring sledge by the Maalaisten laituri dock and the dog sled rides organised by Valkoinen Kukka in the Kasino park are the perfect activity. Snowshoes, sliding step snowshoes and e-fatbikes can be rented from Saimaan Palju Events.
The Winter Harbour consists of six special themed Saturdays from the grand opening on 27 January to 2 March. The activities include the snow slide of our gorgeous winter castle, local sports clubs’ tours in the wintery scenery, kite flying on the frozen lake Saimaa and relaxation in the glow of the evening fires.
For the duration of the Winter Harbour, Satamatori will have a ring sledge and a snow slide where guests can experience unbridled joy and speed. The ice path, which is marked with red snow stakes and starts at the head of the harbour, invites Winter Harbour guests to take a brisk walk and enjoy the wintery environment. The groove running between the ski tracks can be negotiated on foot or by bicycle. The map service for the shared-use path and the path’s maintenance situation.
“The beloved Winter Harbour makes it possible for people of all ages to enjoy wintertime activities. This year, we are organising as many as six event Saturdays for the whole family, and there will be completely new elements included in things such as the “Sataman iltatulet” evening fires event,” says Meri-Ellen Pystynen, Event Producer at the City of Lappeenranta.
Six event Saturdays for the whole family
The Winter Harbour will consist of six activity-filled event Saturdays:
- 27th of January from 10:00 to 17:00 Grand opening of the Winter Harbour and Dream Year of Culture | Programme includes dog sled rides organised by Valkoinen Kukka from 12:00 to 14:00. The full programme for the opening week of the Dream Year of Culture.
- 3rd of February from 10:00 to 14:00 Winter day for the whole family | Competitions and fun exercise tracks organised by the P14 team of SaiPa Salibandy, Veiterä, SaiPa and Willimiehen Disc Golf ry. Dog sled rides organised by Valkoinen Kukka from 10:00 to 13:00.
- 10th of February from 10:00 to 13:00 Winter day for the whole family | Wintery activities organised by the Evangelical Lutheran parishes of Lappeenranta, Save the Children Finland, Etelä-Karjalan perhetyön kehittämisyhdistys ry, Martha Association, the Mannerheim League for Child Welfare and Pesä Ysit. The service dog association Lappeenrannan Palveluskoirayhdistys offers rides to small children from 10:00 to 12:00. Dog sled rides organised by Valkoinen Kukka from 11:00 to 13:00.
- 17th of February from 10:00 to 14:00 Winter day for the whole family | Kite flying organised by Leijapojat (Kiteboys), putting competition organised by Willimiehen Disc Golf ry. Dog sled rides organised by Valkoinen Kukka from 10:00 to 13:00.
- 24th of February from 18:00 to 20:00 Sataman Iltatulet evening fires | A new type of activity to illuminate the winter evening.
- 2nd of March from 10:00 to 13:00 LTKY’s traditional Jäärieha celebrations for the whole family and dog sled rides organised by Valkoinen Kukka from 10:00 to 13:00.
On event Saturdays, Saimaan Palju Events will organise photo orienteering in the harbour area. The starting point is marked with a big Saimaan Palju Events flag. The idea of photo orienteering is to find 20 different sites in the harbour area based on photo clues. The 30 fastest competitors will get a small prize. You can take part in photo orienteering during the above event schedules. No registration required.
Dog sleds and snowshoeing
Each event Saturday will feature a dog sled ride organised by Valkoinen Kukka in the Kasino park. Friendly Siberian huskies pull sleds through the park. The activity is subject to a fee. Visitors can also pet the dogs. More information about the dogs of Valkoinen Kukka.
Visitors who want to explore the frozen Lake Saimaa can rent snowshoes and sliding step snowshoes from Saimaan Palju Events at the self-service point in Satamatori. Photo orienteering is also a fun way to explore the lake and harbour. At certain times, visitors can also rent e-fatbikes from Saimaan Palju Events. Read more and book your equipment here. Snowshoes and sliding step snowshoes can be rented at the self-service point in Satamatori 24/7.
The easiest way to rent equipment is through the booking calendars of Saimaan Palju Events. On days suitable for outdoor activities, e-fatbikes in particular are in high demand, which is why booking the equipment in advance is recommended.
Saimaan Palju Events service hours in the Winter Harbour: (self-service point available 24/7):
- 27 January from 12:00 to 17:00
- 3 February from 10:00 to 14:00
- 10 February from 10:00 to 13:00
- 17 February from 10:00 to 14:00
- 24 February from 18:00 to 20:00
- 2 March from 10:00 to 14:00
The harbour area will also have several restaurants and cafés during the Winter Harbour: Bistro & Café Weera, restaurant Kasino Lappeenranta, Satamatie6 and the services of Hotel Lähde (hotel, breakfast restaurant, café and spa). At the events, mulled wine can be purchased from South Karelian entrepreneur Päivi-Angervo.
Services of Hotel Lähde: indulge in a hotel breakfast, enjoy the activities of the Winter Harbour and then relax in the comfort of the spa. At Hotel Lähde, breakfast is served on weekdays from 7:00 to 10:30, and at the weekends and on mid-week holidays from 8:00 to 11:00. Café Lähde and Day Spa Lähde are open Mon–Thu from 10:00 to 20:00, Fri–Sat from 10:00 to 23;00 and Sun from 10:00 to 20:00. Restaurant Kasino Lappeenranta is open on Saturdays from 12:00 to 15:00; a buffet with three warm dishes with side dishes, salad, soup of the day, dessert and drinks with the meal. Café Satamatie6 is open during the winter season Thu–Fri from 11:00 to 20:00 and Sat from 10:00 to 18:00 (Sat 24 February from 10:00 to 21:00). Bistro & Café Veera is open at all Winter Harbour events. The selection includes “vety” meat pasties with both egg and ham, “atomi” meat pasties with egg or ham, soups and pastas of the day, fried vendace, savoury and sweet treats, special coffees and hot and cold winter drinks.
Event Producer Meri-Ellen Pystynen
tel. +358 40 687 7462